It has been so stormy here the last few days; rain, wind, hail. It makes me want to curl up on the couch with a blanket and a cup of warm tea and read for hours on end. However unfortunately, school prevents me from indulging in such a pleasure. But for now, I am taking a break from paper writing and am indulging in some writing; writing about reading and the words we read, but, more importantly, the words we say.
I love reading of all sorts. Getting lost in a book is one of the best ways one could spend ones time (I almost said waste, but then slapped myself on the wrist, because reading is never a WASTE of time). While I love novels and long, non-fiction books, as many of you know, I have a certain soft spot for short stories. Hand me a collection of Joyce Carol Oates, and you may not see me for the rest of the day.
But why do I like short stories? I think the answer boils down to the conciseness of them; their ability to make an impact in such a small way and in such a short time. Skip a single page in a novel, and you most likely won’t have missed anything from the books meaning. Skip a page from a short story, and the entire message of the story may be altered. In a short story, every sentence matters. Every word matters. The emphasis a short story puts on words and their meaning is extraordinary. Words have unbelievable power in a short story, and that is why I love them.
Words are important. Words are powerful.
The saying “sticks and stones can break my bones, but words can never hurt me” has always bugged me. Did whoever say that honestly believe that words do not have the potential to cause harm? I have a problem with the hateful words that have entered the vocabulary of millions (such as the n-word, a term I still refuse to utter). People use words so ignorantly, and most of the time, when confronted about it, they try to justify their usage by claiming they weren’t intended to be hurtful. Words carry meaning, and if they didn’t, then why must we need so many of them?
One word I utterly abhor is “retarded”. I have deducted, from personal observation, that many use it as a synonym for “stupid”, ignoring the true meaning of the word. I don’t mean to champion political correctness here, but if “stupid” is what one means to say, why not just say that? Why must one have to revert to a word that, by definition, has nothing to do with unintelligence? We’ve all heard someone say “you’re so retarded!” as a joke, but what does that even mean? If it is a reference to mental retardation, then why is it funny? Linking the pieces together, does this mean that those that have a sort of mental retardation are funny and/or stupid? Retardation has become such a negative term, one that is equated to stupidity and hilarity, and it's all because of people’s ignorance.
For anyone that has been called a name or been gossiped about, you know the pain words can cause. Anyone who thinks words are just empty combinations of letters should look at the epidemic of bullying across our country. Words are no longer hurting. For many young kids we can see that unfortunately, words are now killing, as many are taking their own lives because of teasing and taunting by peers.
There is a less somber side to words too though. Because as hurtful as words can be and as much pain as they can cause, they can do the opposite as well. Words can convey compassion, joy and love. As much as we remember words that have injured us, we remember words that made us feel happy, wanted or loved. Words of encouragement or kindness can often be the best gift we can give a person. During a bad day, who doesn’t appreciate hearing a friend or family member simply say “I love you”?
My point in all of this is that we all need to recognize the strength of what we say. Our words might stay with a person forever, and we must therefore choose and apply them wisely. Ignorance, anger and hate shouldn’t interfere what we say or how we say it. Words, once said, cannot be taken back. Words aren't reversible.
Words are complex, and often problematic.
But words are wonderful. And we could all stand a reminder to use them productively.
No comments:
Post a Comment