Thursday, April 14, 2011

Exciting news, coming my way!

Brag time.

I finished my thesis a couple weeks ago, and as I’ve already shared with most of you, I nominated to pass with distinction (which is the highest honor you can get for your honors thesis). It goes into review April 25th, and I should know after that if I won such honor. I had lunch with my thesis advisor yesterday, and he told me I shouldn’t worry – he’d be surprised if I didn’t pass with distinction. He said usually on committees the four evaluators duke it out, for they have to be unanimous in their favorable vote. In my case, all four evaluators, without hesitation or discussion, nominated me.

I also got recommended and submitted my research for two undergraduate research awards. I presented at a symposium on Monday to a board of six research professors, and I should hear back from them soon. They had quite a few positive things to say about my project – one professor praised my thorough research, another my writing and writing style. In fact, one of the evaluators is friends with my advisor, Jesse, and told him (in confidence, so shhhh) that I had a really good shot at winning. So we’ll see!

But the biggest news, is that I found out the day I presented at the symposium that I won the other research award; the Emeritus Society Award. I was ecstatic, to say the least, and unbelievably proud. I haven’t won something of that magnitude ever, so it was so fulfilling and something I will always remember. I attend an awards ceremony Tuesday to accept the award. Check out the announcement on WSU’s website by clicking the title of this blog.

Yesterday, Jesse took me out to lunch to celebrate. It was a great time, and in the end, he told me that I was no longer my advisor or professor, and I was no longer his student or mentee. From now on, he said, we should refer to each other as friends. We promised to keep in touch, and meet up whenever I come to Pullman or if he’s in Seattle. I will definitely miss him, and am so thankful for having the opportunity to work with him.

At lunch though, Jesse shared with me one more piece of exciting news. An Emeritus professor at WSU read my work and was enamored by it. He asked Jesse to give me his email so that I could potentially send him another copy. He also asked if he could share it with a professor at a different university who is in the process of writing a book on Jewish history. I considered this request such an honor. What’s even more exciting is that this Emeritus professor is in the education field and is a leading researcher and advocate in school reform in Washington State, specifically in regards to the WASL. Jesse stated this might be a good opportunity to get into contact with him, as I myself am going into education and he is certainly well established and respected in the field. So I am beyond excited to talk to him and feel so proud that someone with such high credentials felt so strongly about my work.

Alright, enough bragging. I apologize, but it’s been a whirlwind of a last week or so, and I had to share all this exciting news! Thanks for listening to my ramble on, yet again, about my thesis!

No comments:

Post a Comment