Monday, February 21, 2011

The Shrinking Bucket List

I have a bucket list; a relatively informal one at that. It's not in writing or anything, but instead remains a list of jumbled ideas in the back of my head that I hope to accomplish someday. To share a couple, I hope to publish something, be it a novel or short story, I want to go to Cooperstown, and I want to read every publicly available piece of writing by JD Salinger. Up until last night, learning to play guitar was on that list as well.

Let me explain.

I went on a date (date #2 with a guy whom I've had classes with the past four years). As we were sitting waiting for the movie to start, we were chatting and I stupidly mentioned how I wish I knew how to play the guitar. Well, just my luck, the guy excitedly informed me that he played the guitar, in fact had three at home, and would love to teach me.

GREAT, I thought. Now I get to look like an idiot. Anyone who knows me knows that I am not the most musically adept person. While piano was mediocre at best, flute was an utter disaster. And my singing? It's nothing short of atrocious.

As the movie started, I kept my fingers crossed that he'd forget about his offer. Unfortunately, he didn't, and right after the movie ended he suggested we go learn to play. Unable to renege on my initial excitement regarding learning to play the guitar, I agreed to go attempt it.

Needless to say, I did look pretty stupid for a good hour and a half. Almost immediately, I realized guitar playing was not in my future, and I mentally scratched it from the bucket list. Not only are my hands way too small to comfortably play all the chords, but I was unaware how incredibly painful the strings were (the indents on my poor fingers took hours to go away).

So, I unfortunately (yet very decidedly) abandoned my dream of ever playing the guitar. Turns out, it is totally not for me.

The good news though? I now have plenty of time for the other bucket list items!

1 comment:

  1. Hmmmmmmm....food for thought...but still not convinced!!!!!

    ReplyDelete